Manga Course news
こんにちは。九段の山中です。 おうち時間、みんなはどのように過ごしていますか。 ニュースは情報収集には必要だけど、コロナウィルスのニュースばかり見ると元気がなくなってしまいますね。 今は、色々なアーティスト […]
My final week of the Manga course and my overall thoughts
Alas, the final week of the Manga course arrived. The imminence of the culmination of this whole manga-learnin […]
My 8th week at Kudan and Mangajuku
The 8th week was the 2nd to the last week of the manga course, so for the last 2 posts, I’d like to focu […]
My 7th week at Kudan and Mangajuku
I just realized that I’m more than half-way done with my conversation course, and only 2 weeks away from […]
My 6th week at Kudan and Mangajuku
Another fun week had come and gone! In our conversation lessons we tackled the difficult task of giving direct […]
Collaboration course with Kudan
The dream course of Japanese language and Manga is now here through the collaboration of Kudan and Mangajuku!(Professional Manga School) You can learn both Japanese and Manga during your short stay of 3 months in Japan.
This course is completely original and is a special course made for those interested in Japanese manga, but is only for students of Kudan Institute of Japanese Language and Culture.
In this course, a professional manga artist together with a bilingual coordinator will assist you according to your level, and whether you are someone who likes reading manga but is a complete beginner in drawing, or for those who are experts at drawing but would like to broaden their expertise, you can be assured that students of any level can take the course.
We have already produced more than 100 student graduates from 37 different countries. While studying Japanese language, you learn how to draw manga characters, and you would be able to create an original character of your own. At the end of this course, along with the Certificate of Completion, you will also receive your works and a manga sketching textbook.
Why not try to directly experience the manga culture that has taken over the world?
Kudan Manga course class lesson movie
Japanese lesson + Manga lesson.
- Manga Course Curriculum (1 month Course, 5 lesson /2-month Course, 10 lessons / 3-monthCourses, 16 lessons)
- Over 15 years old (High School students or older).
- Accommodation: Homestay or private dormitory.
|| 3 months
||For Beginner, Intermediate & Advanced|
|3 months||392,,000YEN||+Bankcharge 4000YEN|
Registration Fee,Text Book,
Japanese+Manga course tuition
breakfast & dinner for weekdays,
3meals for weekends
|Guest House 65,000 YEN(Single room)～ / Month|
|Airport Pick Up||Arrival on Saturday||15,000YEN|
- Not understanding Japanese at all, am I still eligible to the course?
- Yes, you will have no problem at all. The Japanese language course is designed for complete beginners exclusively and the Manga course is taught both in Japanese and English.
- Not having experienced drawing Manga at all in my life, am I still eligible to the course?
- Yes, you will have no problem at all. You can learn Manga from scratch.
- Can I participate in the course from the middle of the program?
- No, you cannot. The program is designed to progress gradually to accomplish the graduation project at the end by starting from scratch therefore, no participation is allowed part of the way through the program.
- What is the minimum age to enter the course?
- The minimum age is 15 years old, the same for the Japanese school.
Manga course Curriculum
In the course, you will learn how to draw a face and whole body in Manga and above all, you will learn how to draw characters in different genres of Japanese Manga such as Ninja, Teen Drama, Adventure, etc. Using the same dip pen used by professional writers, the curriculum progresses through practical exercises and detailed instructions easy to understand for beginners.
The collaboration course consists of 16 lessons in 3 months, including digital coloring exercises using computer programs, and aims to accomplish an illustration of each participant's original character by the end of the course. As an out of classroom exercise, a sightseeing tour of Akihabara, the Mecca of Manga and animation, is scheduled. The course consists of such an attractive curriculum!
1.Orientation to the course and outlook of Japanese Manga
Self-introduction of the participants and orientation to the course; Exercises; Drawing with a dip pen, filling in procedure, whitening out with liquid and screentones.
2. Character faces
How to draw the face. Deformation theory and expressive techniques to show human feeling such as joy, anger, sorrow and pleasure.
3. Drawing the character as a whole
Positioning technique of the whole character. Head and body and their proportions. Deformation and attractive poses.
4. Character design 1
Methodology of characterization through fashion, body shape and hair style.
5. Character design 2
Drawing the character in different themes of Japanese Manga.
6. Character motion
Practice in drawing running characters. Practice in creating the side composition, or composing from a previous composition.
7. Professional Character Design
Actual hands-on experience with a professional manga artist. Lecture about the typical work of a professional manga artist.
8. How to draw the background
The basic methodology of background art （clouds and skies、trees and leaves, seas and waves）.Shaving technique using screentone
9. Scene allotment
Basic description of the panel layout. Trial production of 1 page scene allotment based on an exsit story.
10. Digital production（monochrome）
Drawing Manga using "CLIP STUDIO PAINT", a piece of computer software.
11. Graduation project 1- monochrome (Draft)
Making a cover page of the manga in your debut as a professional manga artist. Drafting with a pencil.
12. Graduation project 2（Pen lining）
Making a cover page of the manga in your debut as a professional manga artist. Pen lining, putting in title (in case of handwritten)
13. Graduation project 3（Digital color）
Coloring of the project work by a computer. Coloring of the cover page
14. Graduation project 4（Completion）
Completion of the digitally colored graduation project.
15. Field trip
Observation trip regarding manga history and viewing of videos for drawing manga.
16. Final comment and graduation ceremony
Review and comment on each graduation project. Presentation of the completion certificate for the course.
Works of Graduates
©Keisuke Ide『The Attitude of Oxalis』