Tea Ceremony Short Course
In this course, you can learn Japanese language and Japanese Tea Ceremony(Bonryakutemae) at the same time. You will also learn about Tea Ceremony culture, how to make Tea, and how to serve Tea. We will give you a certificate of completion after finishing the 4-week course. Please enjoy Japanese tea and traditional culture while you study Japanese in Kudan Institute.
※Bonryakutemae, is also called “Obon temae” or “Bon temae”. During Bonryakutemae, we prepare all the required tools on the “Obon(tray)” and make tea. We will give you a Bonryakutemae Tea Ceremony Set. It states that you can make tea in your home country.
Tea Ceremony Short Course
- Tea Ceremony Course:8 lessons.
- Students should be over 15 years old (High School students or older).
- Accommodation: Homestay or private dormitory(Offered only to students who are taking the Conversation Course or the Intensive Course )
- Capacity: 6 students
- Japanese Level: For Beginner(those who have studied before), Intermediate & Advanced
| 1 month
short course ONLY
March 9～June 3 2019
|1 month||45,000YEN||+Bankcharge 4,000YEN|
Bonryakutemae Tea Ceremony set, Tea-ceremony lesson tuition
short course + Japanese lesson
|February 4～March 4 2019||
1 month (4 weeks)
Registration Fee,Text Book,Bonryakutemae Tea Ceremony set
Japanese+Tea-ceremony lesson tuition
※Conversation Course (9:10～12：40）、Intensive Course(13：30～17：00）
Present : Tea Ceremony Set for all participants
4 weeks(28 nights)
breakfast & dinner for weekdays,
3 meals for weekends
|Guest House 65,000 YEN(Single room)～ / Month|
|Airport Pick Up||Arrival on Saturday||15,000YEN|
- Am I still eligible for the course without understanding Japanese at all?
- If you just take Tea Ceremony Course, it is fine. If you start Japanese lesson from November 5th, you should know basic level of Japanese. If you can start the Japanese lesson from October 1, 2018, it is also no problem. Tea Ceremony course is taught in Japanese, but we provide you with English help.
- Not having experienced Tea Ceremony at all in my life, am I still eligible to join the course?
- Yes, you will have no problem at all. You can learn about Tea Ceremony from the basics.
- Can I participate in the course from the middle of the program?
- No, you cannot. The program is designed to progress gradually to accomplish the “Bonryakutemae” by the end of the course, so no participation is allowed midway through the program.
Tea Ceremony Lesson Curriculum
1.Orientation and How to use the tools (5/9)
How to use the tools
How to bow, how to sit down and stand up on the tatami room
Omotenashi from the sensei
2.How to drink Usucha and How to eat Japanese Sweets (5/13)
Warigeiko( how to handle the fukusa & how to purify the natsume)
Review of the acting
How to behave as a guest(How to eat Japanese sweets & How to drink Usucha)
3. How to make tea and the preparation (5/16)
Warigeiko( how to purify the chashaku, how to examine the chasen, how to handle the chakin, how to purify the chawan)
How to make tea
About the Tea
4. How to Provide a tea for a guest (5/20)
How to provide a tea for a guest
About Japanese sweets
5. How to drink Koicha (5/23)
What is Chakai ?
How to drink Koicha
6.Practice Bonryakutemae (full-rehearsal) (5/27)
7. Practice Bonryakutemae 2 (full-rehearsal 2) (5/30)
Practice Bonryakutemae (full-rehearsal)
8. Last Performance and Graduation Ceremony (6/3)
Perform Bonryakutemae by yourself
in front of the teacher.
(We will give you a certificate of completion)
※The certificate of completion is a Kudan original certificate.
This course shows the most traditional way I guess. There are many tea ceremony courses outside, but this one gave me the chance to make self- experience in making tea. It’s a very good way to get deeper knowledge about the culture.
As a foreign person I enjoyed very much this experience, it is very interesting and like it very much. I think besides the language it is good to know about the Japanese culture and traditions. The teacher was very patient and explained everything very clearly.
You might think that learning tea ceremony is a bit difficult to start learning. However the teacher will teach you very kindly and neatly in this course. You can learn the basics at short-term and acquire. It was a practical tea ceremony class. You can also get some support by textbooks and movies.
I'm so glad that I attended the course. It’s both enjoyable and educational. Only by learning to prepare Japanese tea for the guests can one truly get closer to understand the meaning of Japanese tea ceremony. Female student from China（Conversation Course, Level 4）
You can experience Japanese Tea Ceremony Culture freely. The teacher will teach you very kindly even for foreign learners and I think that it is easy to understand the explanation. You can taste the seasonal Japanese sweets “wagashi” as well as you can make tea by yourself. I enjoyed a lot and can recommend it.